In celebration of our 100th episode airing on Dash Radio this Sunday (along with our event, RSVP so you don’t miss out!) I’ve decided to write up a little list of my all time favorite songs of the year 2000! Many of these songs are pretty much the reason why I started listening to Hip Hop, the lyrics are pretty much embedded in my head forever.
1. A Song for Assata – Common (Like Water for Chocolate)
Okay this is at the top of the list for many reasons, and is an exemption, because in truth I didn’t hear this song until probably within the last three years, BUT Assata Shakur is a Queen in all sense of the word. A radical activist, Tupac Shakur’s Aunt, and a visionary; I’m extremely thankful for Common and his rendition of her being in this song
2. Mind Sex – Dead Prez (Lets Get Free)
3. I Just Wanna Love U – Jay Z (The Dynasty)
4. Slum Village – Jealousy (Fantastic Vol.2)
5. Get Your Mind Right Mami – Jay Z (The Dynasty)
6. Parking Lot Pimpin – Jay Z (The Dynasty)
7. So Fresh, So Clean – Outkast (Stankonia)
8. Put it On Me – Ja Rule (3.36)
9. Wu Banga 101 – Ghostface Killah (Supreme Clientele)
10. Oh No – Mos Def, Pharoahe Monche, Nate Dogg (Lyricist Lounge 2)
So whenever I wasn’t worried about the world ending, or whatever else was going in 2000, I was hooked on this list. This is a small compilation of meaningful songs for me…..there was a lot of R&B hits released as well, but that calls for another blog, preferably with a candle scented ambiance….