We are getting closer to our 100th episode of White Label Radio! This Sunday will be our 94th episode, so we’ll be revisiting everything that went on during 1994 – personally, one of my favorite years in hip-hop. What can I say? I’m a Nas & Biggie fan! The 90’s were definitely a Golden Era for Hip-hop, but I think it’s safe to say that 1994 was a pivotal time.
1994 is the year Nas released his debut album, Illmatic. This album featured production from some of the greatest producers; including DJ Premier, Large Professor, and Pete Rock, just to name a few. A young Nas perfectly depicted life in the Queensbridge Projects. Illmatic would eventually be considered one of the most impactful hip-hop albums – ever.
Also in ’94, Biggie released his debut album, Ready to Die. At the time, Biggie had only been rapping for 3 years, but managed to gain a large following. During a time when West Coast rap was on top of its game, Ready to Die was exactly what the East Coast needed do regain its spot in the music industry. Biggie’s flow and clever wordplay perfectly illustrated the different stages of his life, as he went from “ashy to classy“. 1994 undoubtedly brought us some great albums. Don’t believe me? Take a look at some of the albums that came out that year:
- Hard to Earn – Gang Starr
- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik – OutKast
- The Main Ingredient – Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
- Resurrection – Common Sense
- Regulate… G Funk Era – Warren G
- The Beatnuts – The Beatnuts
- Same as It Ever Was – House of PainDare Iz a Darkside – Redman
- The Most Beautifullest Thing in This World – Keith Murray
- Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age – Public Enemy
1994 was definitely a memorable year, not only in hip-hop, but in general. Let’s take a look at what else happened that year:
- If you’re from the San Fernando Valley, then you definitely remember the 6.7 Northridge earthquake.
- Remember when OJ Simpson led police on a high speed pursuit?
- Lisa Marie Presley & Michael Jackson got married.
- Kurt Cobain commits suicide at the age of 27 years old.
- Forrest Gump won Best Film.
- Sony PlayStation was launched.
- Some of the best movies and shows came debuted, including: Pulp Fiction, Friends, Dumb and Dumber, ER, The Lion King and Pocahontas, just to name a few.
- Tupac was shot in a recording studio. This would be the incident that started the Biggie and Tupac feud.
What memories do you have of 1994?